CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, July 08, 2010

The Great Chapel Crisis of TwentyTen

Frank and I have decided to get married in Camp Lejeune. We came to this decision after considering a few things. For one, a wedding traditionally takes place in the Bride's hometown and I don't really have a "hometown" anymore. My immediate family lives in Charlotte, NC, but I spent the majority of my life in Clemmons, NC. My "hometown" is Pittsburgh, PA, and although my entire extended family still lives there, it would be next to impossible to plan a long distance wedding when my parents didn't even live there anymore. After we discussed holding the wedding in Charlotte, we determined that holding the wedding in Camp Lejeune made sense. After all, the Marine Corps. is our "home."

That brings me to the Great Chapel Crisis of TwentyTen. We originally wanted to get married in the Protestant Chapel on base. Well, apparently they are going to be doing renovations and are not booking events between November, 2010 and May, 2011. Strikeout Numero Uno.

I then looked at the Chapel in Courthouse Bay. I think it was a trailer, but this was a couple weeks ago and I can't remember for sure. Needless to say, Stikeout Numero Dos.

This brings me to MCAS New River's Memorial Chapel. We went and looked at it before we went on vacation for the Fourth of July. Although it was going to be logistically difficult, because of its distance from Camp Lejeune, where the reception will be held, I thought it would work. I went to book the Chapel today and they told me they only do weddings between the hours of 9:00-12:00 and 13:00-16:00. Yesterday when I spoke to people at the Chapel, they told me they would "work with me" and a 4:00 p.m. wedding would be manageable. Well, as it turns out, 4:00 p.m. isn't manageable and I could only do a 2:00 p.m. wedding. Strikeout Numero Tres.

After Memorial Chapel shut me down, I started to panic knew I only had a few more options. I drove to Camp Johnson and the Chapel was getting ready to fall down "well-used." Strikeout Numero Cuatro.

Tarawa Terrace's Chapel? A definite possibility. However, it was set up really weird. It was an "L" shape and would have been awkward for a wedding. Strikeout Numero Cinco.

The Midway Park Chapel? The Chapel that I didn't even go into after the Protestant Chapel strikeout because I thought it wouldn't photograph well? Well, looks can be deceiving. It is perfect!

And so, the Great Chapel Crisis of TwentyTen has been averted.

January 8, 2011
Four o'clock in the afternoon
Midway Park Chapel
MCB Camp Lejeune

4 comments:

  1. yayyy so excited that you found something! have you already booked?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have to fill out a sheet tonight and I'll take it to them tomorrow. The guy that was running the Chapel just got back from Afghanistan and he said they almost never get weddings, so it's pretty much booked. We did JUST book/pay for either Marston Pavilion or The Ball Center.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So, is that an open invite to all the local milibloggers to come and blow bubbles at your wedding?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seven days before my bday!!! I'm so happy a crisis was avoided.

    ReplyDelete